26 November 2011

Humbly Grateful or Grumbly Hateful?

"Spread for me a banquet of praise, serve High God a feast of kept promises, And call for help when you're in trouble—I'll help you, and you'll honor me." - Psalm 50:14-15 (The Message)

Thanksgiving 2011 has passed without a lot of fanfare but with an overwhelming, overflowing, incredible sense of thankfulness and gratitude. Thanks GIVING. That's the key. It's an act. It's a verb. It's a process. We have to give our thanks away. Sometimes that can be painful or it may be hard to remember why or what we have to be thankful for when it comes to others.

I admit it. I have often been annoyed by Hallmark Holidays that make me feel guilty if I don't - on demand - love someone, buy chocolates, wear green, raise a flag, or something else. I don't want to be force to do something. I want to love, be kind to, respect, thank, admire, admonish, encourage, and uplift people ALL YEAR LONG. But I know it's not always easy and I fall short of where I truly desire to be. I tell them why I am grateful for them and sometimes, I even write them a real, handwritten, snail mail letter.

But many people are not easy to thank nor do they verbalize or show their thankfulness. Not only do they forget to say "Thanks" or "Thank You" but they have an altogether sour attitude. Words are important, but more telling is the attitude behind those words. You know what I mean. A quick "thanks" said with sarcasm, complete silence, or an attitude of "I'm not going to thank you because all you did was meet my expectation" just...doesn't satisfy the soul. Jesus asked me to be thankful in ALL things and to love even my "enemies" or those people who aren't pure positive sunshine and encouragement. I am to be thankful for them, too.

We were made to give thanks - and to receive it. But sometimes, it's just nice to hear what other people have to say. Our 307+ million people in the United States stop for a day or two to gather together and be thankful? It's very touching when you think about it. The national holiday started in 1863 when President Abraham Lincoln declared it to be so (the first thanksgiving feast was in November 1621) and have everyone stop what they were doing for a day or two to be grateful. Even in the midst of sickness, starvation, and death, the Pilgrims remembered to be thankful for what they did have. Amazing!

Attitude Adjustment

It's about a humble attitude, a submission to admitting that we are conscious of benefit received, that we express thanks, that we are well-please, and appreciative of the kindness, advantage, or circumstance. As a kid, we sang a song in children's choir that went like this:

"Are you humbly grateful or grumbly hateful, what's your attitude?
Do you grumble and moan or let it be known you're grateful for all God's done for you?"


It was about Jonah in the belly of whale. And I admit, I wondered how he could be grateful for that, too, especially considering that the smell of fish makes me instantly nauseated.

I have often been careful to show TOO much thankfulness; I didn't want to come across as forward or a pushover or verbose or... Wait, what was I scared of again? I'm a words of affirmation person. They are like sunshine to my soul and encourage me to keep on going. They say, "Keep on going! You're doing the right thing. You're brave. You're courageous. You're doing well. Yes, we're proud of you. Yes, we'll follow you! Make that decision again. You chose well." And so I do that for others.

An Identity Defined By Gratefulness

This summer, I was privileged to attend a little in-the-park talk by Patrick Dodson who wrote The Identity Project book by Patrick Dodson. It isn't about choosing the right career or studying the exactly correct major in college or calling yourself by a particular title. It's about who you were created to be by Christ. And how others speak identity into your life. It's been on my heart and mind. How do I speak identity into others? Not just think "He's a nice guy. She's an interesting girl. They're a fascinating couple." I mean really speak it into others? So this week, out of Thanksgiving (key word "giving") I wrote postcards to four of my nieces and nephews (and have 10 more to complete) and six of my close friends and told them why I was thankful for them: what I see them doing, who I observe them to be, and what I see them becoming.

So, I am am glad for Thanksgiving, to be encouraged by so many people who are remembering what God has done in and through us. I am glad to be reminded of thanking our Savior for so many things: for Salvation, for God's word, for my Testimony, for Truth, for health, family, friends, a warm home, healthy food, work, creativity, the opportunity to join others in service, my nieces and nephews, and on, and on, and on.

"The Spirit makes it clear that as time goes on, some are going to give up on the faith and chase after demonic illusions put forth by professional liars. These liars have lied so well and for so long that they've lost their capacity for truth. They will tell you not to get married. They'll tell you not to eat this or that food—perfectly good food God created to be eaten heartily and with thanksgiving by believers who know better! Everything God created is good, and to be received with thanks. Nothing is to be sneered at and thrown out. God's Word and our prayers make every item in creation holy." - 1 Timothy 4:4 (The Message)

No comments:

Post a Comment