07 November 2010

Once Upon a Flu

Are you thankful in every situation? Even when you're weak with sickness and not even the most well-meaning, sweetest people can take away the chills of a fever or the body ache of viruses? I know I'm not, but this is a little tale of how I became thankful...even for the flu.

Once upon a time, I lived near a railroad track. Every time a train went by, it blew its whistle, loud and clear. I loved the sound, but became so used to it that -- unless I was paying close attention -- the sound faded into the background and I didn't even hear it anymore.

And the same thing happens with God's voice.

I follow Jesus and hear His voice daily. Well, OK, I walk in His ways and follow His teachings. But sometimes, His voice just fades into the background...like the train whistle, or wallpaper, or a ticking clock.

And He has seemed to fade into the background ever since I returned from Israel (on October 12). My life has been on fastforward. Bible study, prayer group, Community Night, hosting dinners for 10 people, hosting dinners for 15 people, coffee with this person and breakfast with that person. I knew I had to slow down. I knew I made God my wallpaper and set Him aside. I think God was pretty much shouting at me to slow down or at least politely -- yet vehemently -- whispering to STOP ALREADY and REST IN ME.

"But God, I'm doing great things for YOU", I'd say as I gave God a smile, a thumbs up, and a catch-ya-later wave. I intended to slow down. But so-and-so called, and then they texted, and I got a fascinating email, and then a friend stopped by, and then Facebook begged me to come to this event, and oh, could you host numerous dinners? As an incurable extrovert and someone who loves to display hospitality, how could I resist?

So where does the part about the flu come in?

Oh yes, the flu. Well, I came down sick with the flu a couple of days ago. Aches, chills, fever, other stuff I don't want to talk about... Basically, I was up every single hour of the night and stayed in bed nearly all of the next day. I had to give up the fun of hosting a baby shower and find a new venue for the party and inform all 19 people that it would be 3 miles down the road instead so please have a great time. Whew!

(Back story: Drag myself out of bed. Wonder whether I can fake that I'm not sick during the party. Determine that is impossible. Clear the fog out of my head and figure out a new place. Call sister-in-law who was dragged to Iowa while my brother hunts to check on venue. She calls her father in Colorado to get the OK. Call sister-in-law back. Venue's great. Call mother-to-be. Call close friend. Call mother-to-be's mother-in-law. Hand over the reigns of the party. Curl up in bed. Done.)

SO...back to the flu (forgive my rambling, I'm still recovering!!!)

I was a bit mopey about not being able to host my dear friend's baby shower. I hate being slowed down. I was supposed to go the Warren Miller Film the night before, Breakfast Club in the morning, the shower, and then an Israel Photo/Dinner Reunion that night.
And then God stiff-armed me. You know, like the Heisman Trophy statue? I felt like He said, "I've asked you repeatedly to just slow down. I've whispered. I've hinted. I've nudged. But, you completely ignored me. Oh sure, I saw you pause a little or feign slowing down here and there, but I just want you to hang with me for a while. Remember the whole 'still small voice' thing?" (1 Kings 19:12) "Be still, and know that I am God..." - Psalm 46:10

But laying in my bed, curled up and attempting to stop the chills, I remembered Corie ten Boom's story. She complained to her sister Betsy about all of the fleas they had to endure in their concentration camp barracks. And then they read 1 Thessalonians 5:18
"Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus." 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18
And they found that the guards were avoiding their barracks and refused to do inspections, leaving them free to do Bible studies, talk openly, and pray freely. Why? Because of all of the icky fleas!

So, I thought of my really minor little problem called THE FLU. God used it, I believe, to deplete me of my energy, make me stop and think, and realize that I had no energy or ability apart from Him. I was at my lowest and all I could do was look up!

Yes, that is so true. I have been running myself ragged trying to please this person and that, trying to do good for all people, trying to be all things to everyone, make everyone happy and healthy and filled up. But sometimes, God just wants us to be. And that's what this flu has done for me. I was able to rest, listen to music, pray, think, and (GASP!) rest.

And it was good.

And I was thankful.

And now I'm better.

And I was glad to be stiff-armed by God.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment